The NY Times article on Wal-Mart's hidden customer data mine came as a big surprise to me. I knew that large retailers did collect some data on their customers' buying habits, but 460 terabytes of data? C'mon man!Another benefit that this data gives Wal-Mart is an even greater amount of power over their suppliers. According to the article Wal-Mart may be moving to a system in which suppliers own merchandise until it's sold to the end-user. With the data Wal-Mart has, they should be able to statistically ensure suppliers that their merchandise will be sold and that the supplier will not be left with an excess amount of inventory on their books. Given Wal-Mart's sheer size and this guarantee, I think suppliers will have no choice but to conform to the mandate. This is clearly not a financial benefit to the suppliers, as it could increase their working capital, but many companies depend on Wal-Mart to remain intact and profitable, so they will have no choice but to continue to do business with this merchandising monster.
There certainly are some potential privacy issues that this data collection raises, and I'm certainly not in a position in which I trust Wal-Mart. In fact, I don't trust big businesses in general, because as a business student I realize that company's mandates are to be accountable to its shareholders. Simply stated, companies will attempt to create value by any means necessary. The problem is that if this means finding a loophole in the law in which they can sell off data (a practice Wal-Mart used to partake in) to make an efficient buck, then the management will not think twice about it. I guess I see both sides of the coin. On one hand it is reasonable for Wal-Mart to collect data in an effort to understand its customers' purchasing habits. Isn't this what every retailer should do? On the other hand the data could be used for sinister motives a la 1984 (did you recognize the reference from the title of this blog entry?). Overall I'll admit that this issue does not bother me too much because I think the laws in North America are too restrictive to allow extreme misuse of this data towards the collective population. I'm confident that some lobby group will scream "bloody murder". After all, isn't democracy all about having your nation run by special interest and minority groups? Okay... sorry I'm getting carried away. Politically charged Norm "OFF".
Let's end with a quote from a song I've been listening to while I've been writing this blog... relevant perhaps? So long!
"Relapse, fall backwards and slide, are you suggesting that I repress, repress and disguise?"
-The Honorary Title

No comments:
Post a Comment